Computer Classes for Stroke Survivors
by: Joan Green
Thu 18 of Mar,'10 [01:39:00 pm]
The Montgomery County Stroke Association (MCSA) wants to inform stroke survivors and their caregivers about the following programs but does not officially endorse these programs.
TWIST Computer Classes:
Learn to enhance the communication and cognition of adults with the help of affordable cutting-edge technology
Join Joan Green in Potomac, MD to explore affordable technologies that can be used at home to improve speaking, reading, writing, thinking and remembering.
There will be special appearances by Cheryl Morris- a personal computer coach http://personalcomputercoach.com to answer questions and provide additional support during technology presentations.
Register online at www.ittsguides.com/store (scroll down when in the store)
COST: $100 for 4- 90 minute sessions for each adult wtih communication/cognitive challenge and "computer buddy.
$150.00 for rehabilitation professionals wanting to learn about technology
1. Free online games to improve communication and thinking.
2. The ipod Touch- affordable new applications to help with communication and thinking.
3. The Livescribe Pulse Pen- record audio while you write. Great ways to make communication books, practice speech and help improve memory.
4. Skype- Learn about ways to make communication from a distance easier for free while you see the person you are talking to. with mainstream and adapted resources.
5. Music- learn to create customized online radio stations of your favorite songs (Pandora.com) and print out the lyrics for free to improve speech.
6. Websites, social networks and online support groups for people who have aphasia and cognitive deficits.
7. An introduction to Bungalow Software to help improve reading, writing, speaking and thinking.
8. Learn how to use free mainstream assistive technology tools to make the computer easier to use- enlarge the text, simplify web pages, slow down the mouse, etc., have the computer talk as you type.
9. Affordable program to keep your brain "sharp."
Pre-registration is required. Space is limited- will be filled on first come first served basis. There will be no refunds unless the class is cancelled at least 48 hours in advance by Joan Green due to insufficient registration.
Joan L. Green, M.A. CCC-SLP
Author of "Technology for Communication and Cognitive Treatment: The Clinician's Guide" "Technology Supports for Writing" available at www.ittsguides.com/store
Please sign up for my e-newsletter at www.innovativespeech.com
There are no comments for this article. Scroll below to read them!
NOTE: Only logged in users can post comments.